Re: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Ed Phillips wrote:
My personal opinion is that one side of the primary and one side of the secondary should be tied to a solid power-line frequency ground to avoid accidents in the event of stupidity, which anyone will commit at some time or another. It's one thing to get a bad RF burn and another to take 60 ~ or DC through the body.
I've been grounding the primary for years, but not for a "safety" reason. The caps must be discharged and verified before touching anything. Ed, there are vast number of floating primary coils out there ("they don't have a choice"). Center ground NST's? There are also pig coilers that float the primary on 2 eared pigs. Several years ago I tied one ear to RF ground copying David Riebens setup. But, grounding the primary doesn't make it safe (if anything, a false sense of security). The transformer is bleeding any charge left on the caps. Should that become disconnected at the right time, then a grounded primary won't help either (it will just give you a reference point when you get zapped).

Take care,
Bart