To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:38 PM
Subject: [TCML] Primary Generated Field and Coupling Coefficient

Has anyone ever mapped out the fields produced by the three different primary coils? Is so could you PLEASE send me a link to some images or results. What factors determine the primary geometry thats best suited for a coil. It seems there are a lot of helical primaries on big coils, and flat pancake primaries on medium coils. Do inverse conical primaries achieve better efficiency? Ultimately the transfer between coils is dependent on the change of flux, but it seems situating the secondary in a region of closer field lines will ultimately achieve better efficiency. Helical primaries tend to produce vertical field lines much like an ideal solenoid, whereas flat pancake primaries produce a more torus shaped field (Just off top of my head) The inverse primary seems to be a good middle man between the two. Finally, can someone point me towards the formula to determine coupling coefficient? I've heard ideal is between .05 and .2. I need a formula to determine where I sit currently in order to make adjustments. Thanks

~Andrew