RE: [TCML] Question on Tesla quote...

> "From like considerations other conclusions of interest are reached. The most probable medium filling the space is one consisting of independent carriers immersed in an insulating fluid. If through this medium enormous electrostatic stresses are assumed to act, which vary rapidly in intensity, it would allow the motion of a body through it, yet it would be rigid and elastic, although the fluid itself might be devoid of these properties. Furthermore, on the assumption that the independent carriers are of any configuration such that the fluid resistance to motion in one direction is greater than in another, a stress of that nature would cause the carriers to arrange themselves in groups, since they would turn to each other their sides of greatest electric density, in which position the fluid resistance to approach would be smaller than to receding. If in a medium of the above characteristics a brush would be formed by a steady potential, an exchange of the carriers would go on continually, and there would be less carriers per unit of volume in the brush than in the space at some distance from the electrode, this corresponding to rarefaction. If the potential were rapidly changing, the result would be very different; the higher the frequency of the pulses, the slower would be the exchange of the carriers; finally, the motion of translation through measurable space would cease, and, with a sufficiently high frequency and intensity of the stress, the carriers would be drawn towards the electrode, and compression would result.”
>
> What does this paragraph mean? First off, when he says “the most probable medium filling the space is one consisting of independent carriers immersed in an insulating fluid,” what “space” is it that he is referring to? Does he mean empty space (i.e. a vacuum)? By “independent carriers” are we to understand individual atomic charges? But then what would the “insulating fluid” be?

Mr. Tesla believed in the fluid, ether, that occupies all space and is the carrier of light. I believe that his insulating fluid was ether, and that the 'independent carriers' are the atomic particles that make up the atmosphere. He should call them independent carriers because they carry the electric current that could not otherwise be carried through space, since ether is 100% insulating.

> I am really dumbfounded by this sentence: “Furthermore, on the assumption that the independent carriers are of any configuration such that the fluid resistance to motion in one direction is greater than in another, a stress of that nature would cause the carriers to arrange themselves in groups, since they would turn to each other their sides of greatest electric density, in which position the fluid resistance to approach would be smaller than to receding.”

I believe that this is his method of explaining ionization. The 'stress of that nature' would be the high-potential output generated by the air-core transformer

Good luck!