Re: [TCML] How linear does a ballast need to be

Hi

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/ballast.html can explain better than I.
> and in the case of the ballast type that the core is physically pulled from
> the coils that as the core is removed the current goes down.

No, the inductance of the coil without the "slug" is simply its "air core
inductance". Iron has a much higher permeability than air, so inserting the
slug increases the inductance.