RE: [TCML] My first coil, bigger sparks maybe??

Hi Daz,

That's some beautiful construction you have there - a real showpiece.  While your spark gap IS a work of art, it does not constitute the best practices that have been demonstrated to achieve best performance.

With your spark gap, the arc is always in the same place.  Even though the parts are not puny, arcing at the same place will cause localized heating, which will affect the breakdown voltage of the gap.  There will also be rapid wear at the point of arcing.  With the arc in the same place and no airflow, the hot, ionized air following each bang will affect (reduce) the breakdown voltage of subsequent bangs.  Using two parallel pipes as electrodes causes the arcing to be distributed over the length of the pipes.  And forced airflow improves performance more.

The two spheres gap works well for safety gaps, as these (hopefully) fine only infrequently and won't get hot.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA