Re: [TCML] RE: FAQ

While it would clearly be great to have an FAQ to refer newbies to on
often asked questions, I don't know where to draw the line, between
common issues with >99% universal agreement, and more controversial,
nuanced issues.

For *most* of the questions, there are clear and correct answers.  For
those controversial areas, pro and con positions could be stated, or the
matter could be dismissed for now as unproven with no concensus.

    "Don't let great be the enemy of good"

Granted there are unresolved issues, but there should be ONE place where
people can find out what plastic to use for secondary forms, how many
turns for the secondary, secondary length/diameter ratios, where the tank
capacitor goes in the circuit, how to test/phase NSTs, how to tune
with/without a oscope, how to wind and coat secondaries, etc etc etc etc.

I would say let's hash this out in public-- including deciding which issues
are debatable vs those with clear supporting evidence-- and then have
some sole editor take it over.  MOST of the questions have answers which
will not change over time; only the unresolved/debated questions are
likely to need updates (plus adding new tech as it Komes along), and those
unresolved questions should be answerable in the face of FACTS (properly
gathered and interpreted measurements), not just opinions.  Facts will
eventually appear, then the questions can be put to bed.

It's worth doing!  How many times do patient people need to explain that
PVC is in fact a good material for secondary forms (provided not foamed,
no scrap metal bits in the plastic, no carbon-containing ink, etc), Al is
an acceptable alternative to Cu for conductors (after sizing up), etc etc?

This group really, really, I mean *REALLY*, needs a FAQ!!  "FAQ" *does*
stand for "Frequently Asked Questions", after all.  We shouldn't not have
a FAQ just because *some* questions are still up in the air.

I checked pupman, and it *does* have a FAQ, but it's 1/100th of what it
needs to be.

--ian