Re: [TCML] gold secondary

Hi Earl,
It will work, for a while... The way arcs propagate off of glass is via a capacitive discharge, this is how plasma globes work with a glass discharge terminal in the center, and also why a DC globe makes no or very little light (it charges to the full potential and then stops accepting current.) In order to make a glass terminal last indefinitely you will need it thick enough to withstand the voltage of the secondary, which is really thick, and this will diminish your arc length, just like it does in my prototype plasma globes. http://bogard.110mb.com/Plasmaglobe.htm I might suggest you silver plate your toroid, or brass plate and lacquer to save on costs, or use gold leaf on the outside of the toroid to get your color. I've heard you can use borax to secure gold leaf to metals and ceramic with some heat, as the borax melts in an oven and literally welds them on. I'm sure there is an easier way though...

Scott Bogard.

earl rhodes wrote:

my only concern is the glass may break at higher power levels

does anyone have any input concerning this or even is the person who made that video on this list