Re: [TCML] sealing a cardboard form

Hi Paul,

Thompson's is interesting stuff. The MSDS sheet says it consists of a water repellent wax (paraffin) dissolved in a white spirit (naphtha) carrier. When applied, the dissolved wax and carrier is absorbed by any porous materials. When the carrier evaporates, it leaves the wax behind as a water repellent treatment that permeates the full body of the material.

As a coil form coating, it may work. However, the residual wax may prevent any subsequent coating of shellac or varnish from adhering. If you do try it, let us know the results.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

PAUL THOMPSON wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering about using a commercial sealer instead of polyurethane or shellac to stabilize a cardboard tube form. Specifically Thompson's Water Seal. Any drawbacks to this? I would still use shellac to coat the secondary winding, but anything wrong with using TWS on the bare cardboard?

Regards,

Paul