Re: [TCML] Safety distance vs voltage level

Bert,I have also a shaky idea of one more  possible cause.I don't know if it has sense. I don't know if it is possible but highly unlikely too.How about ascending lightning from victim toward thundercloud when he was below the lines?It is known that lightning sometimes doesn't strike the tallest object and if the extreme conditions were such (unusually high thunderstorm fields) that leader was initiated from the victim to propagate upwards ,than it can meet meet and connect HV line.Unfinished lightning  but triggered line-to-ground fault arc which electrocuted poor man could (?) be the final result.OP doesn't write about what the investigation concluded or anything about weather conditions...

Dex

--- bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Safety distance vs voltage level
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:34:18 -0500

Hi Dex,

An open-air flashover of 15 feet is not possible with only 12 kV.
However, if a high current phase-to-ground arc was somehow initiated
nearby, it could easily extend to 15 feet or more. Magnetic forces,
wind, or thermal currents could then propel the arc towards the victim,
making him an unfortunate part of the circuit.

Unlikely... but possible.

Bert