From: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Envirotex Lite , High Torque drive
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 12:52 PM

Mr. Zapp

> I definitely WOULD NOT try to use a "putty knife" to spread the resin; use
> a 4" wide "foam paintbrush".You are not "trowelling on" the resin like a
> thick coat of stucco on a wall, you are applying a thin coating that
> eventually coalesces into a very level, very uniform, very smooth layer. Use
> just the very tip of the foam brush, gliding gently against the surface of
> the windings. After the entire form is coated, the final smoothing pass is
> made with the tip of the foam paintbrush just barely touching the form.
>
> I evaluated many types of applicators/spreaders for applying the resin, and
> the foam paintbrushes work best by far. A distant second best are the
> knife-edge rubber squeegees used for fiberglass cloth/polyester resin
> laminating work.

I find that a good straight hard edge is quite effective at spreading the
epoxy with the correct technique.  I think our philosophy for using epoxy is
different, however.  I tend to go for a *very* thick coating and risk having
some slight surface imperfections (such as thickness inconsistency), but
with the benefit of an electrically robust system.  A really thin coat of
epoxy is not much better than urethane varnish.

I hear a lot of guys go "yeah, my coil survived some flash-over too, i just
had to wipe it down and recoat the burn area", and i think to myself... i
didnt have to do ANYTHING after my flashovers because there was NO damage to
the coil.

Not to say that you couldn't put on a bunch of thin epoxy layers using the
foam brush method.  I find the wide putty knife to give good control over
the epoxy when putting on HEAVY coats that naturally self level better than
thin coats where the application has to be much cleaner from the start.  In
fact i would agree, a putty knife sucks if you are doing thin coats of
epoxy, but i found the foam brush to be too difficult to control the spread
of a thick epoxy coat.

Steve