-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jeremy Chan

Greetings to all,
...... The bad thing is that I have no
idea whatsoever how ballasting works. I am a Chemistry major in university, and the coil construction was already stretching the bounds of my electrical
engineering experience. I do know that an unballasted MOT puts out about
3500W of power before burning out after 5 minutes, and a ballasted MOT puts out about 1kW. But I need to know how to ballast a MOT stack for about 5kW, whether capacitively or inductively. Programmes for calculating circulating
currents as well as trans/cap matches would be much appreciated.
I considered a 4 MOT stack initially, but am concerned if it can handle the
full 5kW for prolonged periods, and the 8400V supplied seems low for a 5kW
coil. Then again, with a 6 MOT stack I am worried that the MOTs at the
extremities might not be able to handle the 6300V even with the stack
centrally earthed. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these
matters?
Any advice would be much appreciated.Merci Beacoup,Jeremy