Re: [TCML] Pole Pig Cap

Christoph Bohr wrote:
Hello.

It has bee some years since I read that data sheet, but iirc
it was at 20% voltage reversal max in mainly DC applications.
So you have to seriously derate for TC use. These caps work fine
on small to medium systems with up to 10, maybe 12KV, but with more
you would be pushing things too much. With a pig you would need quite
an array of those caps in series parallel.

regards

Christoph Bohr

The derating guidelines for Maxwell caps (from the horse's mouth, so to speak) are at
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/caplife.htm

The reversal is related to the Q, which only affects life with the 1.6 exponent (not like voltage with a 7.5 exponent).

20% VR is a Q of 1.4, 90% VR is a Q of 15.. rough a factor of 10.. so, rounding up the 1.6, the 90%VR is going to shorten the life by a factor of 100. However, dropping the voltage by a factor of 2 will get the life back.

35kV/2 is about 18kV, but that's peak, and most folks talk about their transfomers in Vrms. I get 13kVrms, before my first cup of coffee is done so there could be errors..

Cristoph is in the ballpark.