Re: [TCML] Tube choice for a VTTC 350khz?

Hi All,

I've been doing VTTC research of my own lately and I've observed some
some interesting results.  I started by measuring the fundamental
frequency of the primary and secondary with a TC Tuner.  I put wire on
the secondary to simulate the spark loading of a 33" streamer.  This
put F1 at about 260kHz, the primary was in this range too.  The fun
begins when I turn the coil on.  The coil does not operate anywhere
near 260kHz, but rather between 450kHz and 470kHz depending on grid
placement.  What is even stranger is that the operating frequency is
rock steady.  Tt doesn't matter if the coil is pushing out 1/2" fuzz,
or throwing 33" sparks, it stays locked to one frequency.  The only
way I have been able to vary the frequency at which it operates is by
moving the grid coil up or down on the form.  My VTTC is like that of
Cameron Prince, with the tickler coil high above the primary.

Here's a recent scope capture I obtained while running the coil.
These are measurements of the e-field taken near the secondary /
primary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/3634828940/

The cursor is located on the secondary / primary F1.  To the right is
the coil's Fo (454kHz in this case).

-Phillip Slawinski