Re: [TCML] A Safe Tesla Coil - was: Tesladownunder update, briefcase coil, lots of sparks etc

All,
My whole point was not the safety (or not) of touching the primary. With good design a TC could be constructed so there was little or no risk of primary contact (I think). My thought was to make the output at safe as possible for a small table top demonstration coil.

My reasoning is...

The output of the coil from the secondary should be 50Kv or so and so the current would be much smaller than the maximum primary current, say 3mA MAX and therefore not a major risk to healthy subjects. At this level you should still get a decent output. This effectively means that if we can successfully isolate the secondary from any possibility of connection to the primary by arc over, the coil will be as safe a possible whilst still giving a good demonstration. Remember this is just to prevent injury with accidental contact to the output, not for regular skin to arc demonstrations.

By use of a primary/secondary spiral earthed shield or insulation, I think we can almost eliminate the dangers of an arc to the primary from the secondary so "high" current failure wouldn't be the issue. The question is, can the secondary actually be effectively shielded from the primary in such a way to ensure this and how?

Or do I continue to build battery powered coils ?

      Derek

Jon Danniken wrote:
Dex Dexter wrote:
Except output sparks the value of capacitor tank is also indicative
your coil draws much less juice than 80 W.
I agree that little thingy should be pretty harmless to humans as
long as they don't get in contact with power supply. And even if they
do,20 mA low frequency shock wouldn't be fatal.Just painful.

20mA is more than enough current to induce ventricular fibrillation, depending upon the person getting shocked, how and where the shock is administered, and so on. Ventricular fibrillation, if not corrected immediately by a defibrillator, is fatal in all but the rarest of cases.

Jon