Re: [TCML] High voltage diode sources

Hi Jim,

I agree with Shannon. These diodes work well and for the low price, it is certainly a good idea to put a couple of these diodes in series to double the voltage rating. You don't want to run them at their max rms current and voltage ratings, so use a diode current rating well above your needs and double up on the voltage to make the diodes robust in the application.

Bart

Weinhold Shannon L wrote:
I have a few ideas for ya -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390033384391&_rdc=1
These are 4 for $10, and have a 12kv .45 amp rating.  Super cheap
shipping too. I have used these for multiplier use and they hold up well.
And there's these, and you could double them up to get to the current
rating of the caps you spoke of. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350160183443&_rdc=1

I do recommend making diodes removable and thus replaceable in
multiplier use. I made the mistake of potting mine in epoxy with the capacitors and pulled some really killer sparks at 200,000+ volts...for a minute. :) Potting the caps with attachment leads sticking out of the potting
material, and soldering those leads to the diodes, followed by a
generous coating of corona putty on the diodes and leads worked well for
me. Ceramic doorknob caps worked excellent for me. And don't forget that current limiting resistor on the output. Sorry if
any of that is redundant.

Have fun multiplying! ;-)

Shannon Weinhold
Coffee Creek Correctional Facility
Behavioral Health Services
Mental Health Infirmary
503.570.6761

"The problems of today cannot be solved by thinking the way we thought
when we created them."
-Albert Einstein