RE: [TCML] Oscilloscope methods for showing Ringdown

If one is using a static gap, this will not work.  With a static gap, the timing is totally unrelated to the mains phase - it's purely chaotic.  Only if one is using a synchronous rotary gap will the gap firing be related to the mains phase.

It properly answer the question, we'd need to understand exactly what the goal is.  If it's just a qualitative observation of the secondary ringdown - like to determine 1st/2nd/3rd notch quenching, you shouldn't need anything more than a standard triggered sweep scope, with any type of probe just hung in the vicinity of the secondary.  Just sync on the pickup probe and play with the trigger level.  Even with the chaotic firing of a static gap, the scope will trigger at the same point of each bang.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

<snip>