Re: [TCML] China meters, completed control cabinet

I bought an analog 30 amp current meter from a china ebay store a coupe months ago. and it is not very good. doesn't respond to much below 10 amps. but is good in the 15-30 range. wouldn't buy one ever again. on the other hand the 0v-150v volt meter a got from the same store has good responsiveness at all voltages but becomes more inaccurate as the voltage increases.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Mora" <wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:26:15 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [TCML] China meters, completed control cabinet

Hi Group,

Has anyone tried the China made panel meters? The illuminated blue
background ones look sharp. I have set up three analog meters, 0-300Vac,
0-75Aac, and 0-15Aac. Thanks goes out to Bert Hickman for teaching me
indirectly (like learning to fish) how to shunt a meter! Seems foreign
calculating the resistance of #6awg and cutting it to 6" or so for a
resistor; silver bearing solder changes the lug resistance!!

I am wondering if the digitals would survive the EMI and HF transients that
manage to make it back to the control cabinet (hopefully not much). I will
have the analogs online as well. A cheap goose neck halogen desk lamp was
disemboweled and mounted to the frame that is on a dimmer like a DJ setup to
see the meters and controls. I am ready to move on to the HV cabinet now.
Hurray!

I'll post a couple of pictures on the web so the younger folk can see old
school ;-) The schematics are similar to others with the usual contactor's
latch, emergency stop mushroom, dead man switch, filters, and the addition
of a PWM ASRG circuit. Current control is a sat reactor driven by a small
rectified variac, Voltage control is via a Superior 1256D that is
horizontally stackable-all in a 28" high 19" rolling rack mount caninet.
Everything stays cool at > 60amps for several minutes into several turns of
#10 wire. The sat reactor buzzes like crazy but stays ambient. It was
scrounged out of a scientific oven with 5000 hours on it. I guess the
windings are loosened and rattling. I'd love to submerge it in something. It
has a silicon steel wound type of core. Anyone have ideas on that? Thanks
Jack for the find!

Looking for bigger sparks!

Jim Mora