[TCML] In need of a new variac

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on my Tesla coil for some time and I've been using a variac for my experiments. Recently, I tried using my variac with a MOT and, since it has no outside cover, the wire connections were able to easily slip. They are ring terminals. I plugged it in and all of a sudden I get a 60Hz hum that sounds like plasma in a microwave. I have a ball of molten metal on my floor and my variac isn't working, but there's a lot of smoke. I am in shock.

I looked at my variac and fixed it temporarily by crudely taping two wires together. I don't think I was able to tune to the actual mains voltage because of the fact that a spark gap that wouldn't bridge on the variac would bridge on mains. Then, my friend came over (he has a large degree of knowledge of electricity) and tried to help me by fixing my variac further. He soldered the wires and taped them up, then told me to try to power my NST with it. I tried t power it, and my variac began sputtering metal pieces, creating an effect similar to leydenfrost. I unplugged it and did a diagnosis. Now there are ten missing windings.

Anyways, the purpose of this was to let you all know of my misfortune and ask if you may have a variac I could have for a small amount of money, as I am fifteen years old and unable to get a job.

I feel unsafe working on my Tesla coil and my flyback drivers without a variac on the supply, since any component could not be rated at a high enough voltage and simply explode. if that were to happen when i plug it in, my back would be turned and a fire could start.

Thank you, everyone, for your time.

Good luck with your projects,

Christopher