Re: [TCML] 1 Mhz ,1 kw

Dex Dexter wrote:

I'm considering making a very high frequency (spark gap type) coil with decent power level.
Resonant frequency at least 1 Mhz and power input about 1000 W.
Can someone give me advice and recommend design parameters for this?
Thanks.

Tough at that power level with a spark gap. Run some numbers with the spreadsheet or JavaTC and see what kinds of primary L&C. You'll need small L and small C to get to 1 MHz fres. But, you also need high energy per bang to get your kilowatt. That means high voltage on the C (1/2 C V^2) which makes all kinds of design trouble with insulation and corona.

Losses will also be higher (both in dielectric and IR losses, because skin depth is small).

There's a reason why folks use big tubes for kW power levels at MHz frequencies.