Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

If you plan on running around 10 kVA, then:

Use energy discharge caps instead of MMC (you would probably exceed the 430
Amp current rating on the MMC).

A 34 x 8.5 toroid (or larger) will work good.  24" is a bit small for high
power.  Dryer tube and alum tape work fine.

Use a 14" dia RSG wheel, 10 electrodes, use pillow block mtg to run around
2400 RPM  (you want approx 400 PPS for huge sparks).
Use 1/2" thick G-10 with 1/2" dia rotor electrodes and 1" dia stationary
electrodes.  I run 2 gaps on each side of my wheel.

At higher power levels, I would go 16" dia on the sonotube.

This will handle up to 16 kVA at which point you will be firing out 15 ft
long sparks.

If you contact me off-list I can give you the complete design.  I have it in
JAVATC with all critical dimensions already determined.

Dr. Resonance