Re: [TCML] "Wall Wart" Transformers

A TV flyback transformer can work, but it doesn't run on DC. You would still need the appropriate driver circuitry to drive it correctly at about 16KHz.

Skip

At 07:45 AM 3/25/2009, you wrote:

Have you considered using a flyback transformer with a high power ZVS driver? They are specifically designed for the high voltage and will not self-destruct unless pushed really hard... Since most wall warts are only rated at about 10 - 20w, it would seem a ZVS flyback would be better anyway since you can put hundreds of watts through them without the core saturating. All you really need is to find a rectified-but-not-multiplied
xfrmr (check at the local trash tip for old tv's) and run your coil on DC.

ben.

>Sorry to burst your bubble, but no this will NOT work. These transformers
>can't put up with that kind of voltage. These transformers are also far too
>small to provide a usable amount of power.
>
>On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 19:53, Leonidas Tolias <ltolias@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I had a few of those big black "Wall Wart" transformers lying around. i
>> pulled some apart and noticed that they have some nice looking
>transformers
>> inside them.

-SNIP-