Re: [TCML] Homebuilt Transformer - Can you add shunts?

Hi Phil,

It shouldn't matter if you have a single gap in the path or several. The affect of gap distance however will be additive. In Richie's Ballast, you can see the top core and the hard polystyrene shims he used for the gap. These shims are across both sides.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/parts2.html#ballast

For the UU's, you can add metallic shims in the center U's and then polystyrene the outer U's. This would probably help adjustment. You could also metallic shim one outer U and the center U's, then only polystyrene one outer U for the actual *gap*. I think you have some options here that might be worth playing with unless you can think of a decent means of adding shunts, but as the core is U shaped, that might be difficult to do. I think with the gap technique, you would have no need to force the secondary onto the outer U's. It could be done, but it would be nice if center tap wasn't necessary (as you could ground one side of the output and run only 1 hv line to the capacitor/gap).

Sounds like a fun project!
Take care,
Bart

Phil Tuck wrote:
Hello Bart, everyone.
Thanks for responding. Now I think about it aren't you meant to have just a
single gap in the magnetic circuit ( i.e.: in just one leg) ?
With my cores (Two pairs of UU's, one pair on top the other at the bottom) I
would need to add 8 plastic shims to go between all the faces (2 x centre
legs and 4 x outside legs). I'm wondering if this is interrupting the magnetic path a bit *too much* -even using thin plastic. Milling just two legs shorter on one side, and thereby leaving the magnetic
path complete on the un-milled legs is not an option - I have the necessary
gear but there's no way I am doing that!

At present the secondary is wound over the primary on the centre leg,
whereas I'll go for a secondary on each outside leg centre tapped. This
means the gaps in all the legs will be inside a coil so that might help
matters a bit.

Regards

Phil
www.follytowers.co.uk/tesla