Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

On Mar 30, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Christoph Bohr wrote:

Hello again.

Currently there are 2 major question troubling me:

1:
One thing I noticed is, that when I increase the pulse rate or power, there is a point at ca 70% from where on I get multiple streamers, pretty bushy and
white hot, but the lengts does not increase from this point on.
I sould be around calculated 250KHz, which seems to be problematic from what I have read. Without toroid I could get to 330KHz... would this be worthwhile trying? Sounds dumb, but the toriod is glued to the secondary ( OK, even dumber ) I could of course detatch it, but I'd like to ask first if this makes any sense at
all.

Christopher
250 KHz is not a problem and is a reasonable frequency to run a VTTC. My dual 833A coil runs in continuous mode at 250KHz
and I put out 28" tto 30" streamers without a staccato controller.

If you are tuned at 250 KHz stay there as you have already discovered VTTC tuning is tricky.

My idea was, that if there was a single streamer instead of multiple, it might be
longer without having to push the tube any harder.

The staccato controller simply reduces the duty cycle of the oscillator and lets you push the tube past its limits. The 60Hz corona is just filled with more streamers. Using the staccato, your eyes tend to focus on single sword like streamers.

2.: I read I needed a scope to setup staccato. I just made a PCB, soldered everything together, plugged it in, and it worked... at least I think. I have a scope, but no
idea
what I should set up what can't be done with the controlls available on the fly...

You do not need a scope. If it is working(this is obvious) there is nothing else to do except shield it.

3.: coupling. currently the bottom turn of L1 and L2 are aproximately on the same
hight.
The feeback winding starts 1cm blow the primary and extends 15 turns until 4,5cm below. Does this sound reasonable? I know, its impossible to give exact numbers her,
I just want to see if someone says something is completely wrong....

It sounds reasonable, however, the grid coil can be moved around to a nodal point. I prefer my pancake grid coil coupled and hidden underneath the primary tank coil.

Keep working at it. VTTC coils need a lot of tweaking.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science

Enough for now. For extensive tuning I should move over to my parents house. I am living in an appartment which might be asking for trouble with my neighbours
or the authorities.

best regards

Christoph Bohr