Re: [TCML] Tuning a coil PLEASE HELP

Andrew -

I believe I referred you to Charles Hobson's tiscali website.

Please duplicate the EXACT test setups shown on Charles Hobson's website. They are 100% correct AS SHOWN.

The sketch you made of your secondary resonance test setup clearly does not match that shown on Charles' site.

Note the following:

1. The ground lead of the O'scope is NOT CONNECTED to ANYTHING.
2. The O-scope probe tip can be connected to a 10" length of wire that should be supported so it's hanging vertically about 20" away from the secondary, at least for initial observations.
3. I don't understand what you mean by "modulation"; there is no "modulation" to be seen during this test.
4. To make sure that you understand the basic test setup, and that both your o'scope and signal generator are functional, first connect the scope probe directly to the low-voltage output of the signal generator. The scope should display a sine wave that varies in FREQUENCY (how close the peaks are to each other) as you vary the signal generator's frequency. If your signal generator is of good quality, the AMPLITUDE of the sine wave should be relatively constant, regardless of frequency. If this is what you see, disconnect the scope probe from the signal generator and connect per step #2 (above).

Use the 20v output from the signal generator, and connect it directly to the bottom winding of the secondary. The ground terminal of the signal generator (usually black) is connected only to the ground terminal of the frequency counter.

5. Set the signal generator to some arbitrary RF frequency (say 150 Khz), and adjust your oscilloscope controls until the scope clearly displays a 150Khz sinewave. Adjust the amplitude so that the peak-to-peak sinewave only takes up about 25% of the available screen height.

6. Now SLOWLY vary the frequency control of the signal generator up and down while carefully watching the scope. At some point, the amplitude (the height) of the sine wave will suddenly and DRAMATICALLY increase. You may have to re-adjust the gain on the oscilloscope to see tha maximum height. Once you have found the maximum amplitude of the sine wave, you have found the secondary's resonant frequency.

7. I wasn't able to get your sketch of your primary resonance test setup to display properly, so I don't know what your setup looks like, but again, simply duplicate the setup shown on the tiscali site. Do not add any other connections, etc.

Regards,
Herr zapp