Re: [TCML] Dual 14400 5KA

Hi Jim:

A pig and a PT (Wow! 5kVA!) don't make for a very equitable load-sharing arrangment in general.  I'm guessing the PT has by far the lower Z%, perhaps as low as half the pig's or less.  I have a very old 2.5kVA PT with a 0.6 Z%!  Most pigs seem to be in the 1.5-2.5 range for the sizes coilers tend to find/use.  Anyway, mismatched impedances mean you'll be taxing one (the lower-impedance one) more than the other.  Also, slightly different turns ratios can make for massive circulating currents in transformers like these.  There are probably formulae floating around (perhaps somebody will find/post them) for computing exactly how bad things will be.  Who knows?  It's probably still better than not paralleling them.  And, of course, for intermittent Tesla coil service, most textbook rules for the application of power distribution equipment have already flown out the window ;->

BIL shouldn't matter.  It's a mildly amusing figure by itself, but I can't see how it would affect the decision to parallel or not to parallel.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE