[TCML] Re: The current recordholders?

Currently, I'm planning a major power upgrade to the existing 120L50K experimental coil shown here:
http://www.lightninglab.org/Projects/120L50K/120L50K.html

The plan is as follows:
A) Replace the 3-phase DC resonant charger with a single-phase xfmr using resistive ballasts.

B) Change out the pulse caps in the primary for high-ESR filter caps.

C) Add lossy magnetic core material around the primary conductors.

D) Decrease the bleed resistor value to 2500ohm, on the 26kV line.

E) Increase the rotary gap break rate to 900 BPS.

After these changes the power draw should increase to well over 300 kilowatts, making this the most powerful coil in the world. The arc length performance shouldn't be noticably affected.

-GL

Jeff Wrote:

The 13M by Bill Wysock made verified 55' arcs - point to point - photographed and measured by 3rd parties.

Greg will probably comment soon on the 55-60' claim.

The two China coils are fiberglass versions of the 13M and with the vastly improved gap design should exceed 60' each. The coils MAY be run someday (not by us - we are DONE with that client). 150kW each

Jeff