RE: [TCML] Spark Length Measurement Techniques

This technique may be useful to gauge relative performance of the same coil with the same measurement technique to assist with tuning, but I'm not sure the results are comparable to anyone else's coil measured in a conventional manner.  Just as the breakdown voltage of a multi-segment spark gap ten times 25 mils will be very different than a single 0.25" gap (a seldom-mentioned truth!), I suspect the same would be true with topload discharges.

I would also question whether the presence of nails conducting the discharge current might increase the capacitance-to-ground of the streamer and result in tuning to a lower frequency than if the nail segments were not present.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA