Re: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent

Hi Ray,

I can tell you that you are approaching the capacitor
issue with 80's and 90's technology ;^) which is fine
if that is what you prefer to do. These days, most hobby
level coilers opt for the premanufactured Cornell-Dubi-
lier 942 series of snubber capacitors and build a multi-
mini cap (MMC) to achieve the voltage/capacitance
rating desired, as their voltage rating is typically around
2000 VDC. They have proven theirselves to be fairly
economical as well as very tough and reliable in Tesla
coil service for small to medium sized coils, when
properly used within their voltage rating window.

As far as building a homemade single unit pulse cap,
I don't personally have much experience there, but I can
tell you that it's a very challenging proposition to build
one that won't "let out the smoke" in short order when
hooked into a Tesla coil circuit! There are others on
this list that have successfully constructed homemade
poly/foil rolled caps that have proven reliable, but they
are relatively few and far in between and they would
likely be the first to advise you to take the MMC route. ;^)
I know for a fact that Bert Hickman built one that lasted
many years and he may jump in and comment on this,
but he would also likely advise you to go the MMC
route, assuming you desire to get a Tesla coil "up and
running" within a reasonable time frame.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raymond Magdziarz" <imugjug@xxxxxxxxx>