Re: [TCML] New Coil Questions

Yes, pole xmfrs can run up to twice their normal kVA rating in Tesla duty
cycles.  We run ours at 15 kVA for up to 2 minutes single burst runs.

I carry a complete set of plans for a 15 kVA coil using 16" dia. Sonotube.
You can see it run at our Midwest Teslathon on Aug. 29th.

I also carry 0.1 uF (100 nF) 80 kV DC (30 kV AC) high Q factor caps for
large pole xmfr powered coils. We run a single 100 nF cap our our large coil
running at
15 kVA.

You don't need variacs for large coils.  We use a 3 x 3 x 28" long supercil
10 laminated silicone iron core, then use a DC gearmotor to back this core
in and out of a 300 turn #6 AWG
wirewould coil to control current input.  We usually run at 60 Amps 220 V.,
but this core will work fine up to 70 Amps 220 V.

Keep one side of your pole xmfr grounded, one side of your RSG grounded, and
innermost pri turn grounded.  Then you only need a transient filter on the
bushing (HV) output to the
oscillator base (RSG, cap, & pri coil)..

With the 16" ID (16.5" OD) sonotube we use a 72" winding length and wind
with #16 AWG double build 150 degree magnet wire.

Contact me off-list if you need caps or reactor cores for large coil.

Dr. Resonance