RE: [TCML] Toroid question

Yes, there surely is a topload size that's too large for every coil.  Unfortunately no one has yet discovered a means of predicting what that size is, so all we have is some very crude rules of thumb and trial and error.

When a top load is too large, it doesn't just make the sparks smaller; it's an all or nothing proposition.  Beyond a certain size, the topload simply won't break out - even with a breakout point.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA