Re: [TCML] Pig based coil design.

I can turn on my TC and measure the output sparks using a typical RQ spark gap with a 4" box fan.

Then I can swap out the RQ gap with the 4" box fan for my variable speed vacuum fan RQ spark gap then turn on the TC.  As I turn up the speed of the fan I can see the output sparks get longer and longer.  When the fan reach a certain speed the sparks do not get longer.  If I speed the fan up faster the sparks start to get shorter.  There is a fan speed where it is very visible that the sparks have reached maximum length.  I have taken measurements and the sparks are always at least 5% longer some times more.

I have a variable speed vacuum fan spark gap on a 4" coil, 6" coil and my 10" coil.  The same spark gap works on all the coils from 450 watts to 15KW.

The output on my 10" TC is 12 foot streamers to a target. I can change the speed of the fan the output gets shorter.  With the typical RQ spark gap with a 4" box fan the output is about 10" 6" so I am getting an extra 18" of output with the variable speed vacuum fan spark gap.

I have noticed I get my best output when the humidity in the air is very low.

I have built 2 different styles of variable speed vacuum fan spark gap and the both work fine.

I will see if I can take some pics and upload them to photobucket and post the links here.  My son has a very large pile of auto parts stacked up in from of my TC stuff that I have not used in several years.  If I can get to the spark gap and connect it to a TC I might even be able to get a video and upload it to You Tube.  Today I am working on the camper and tomorrow I have another project to deal with so it may be a few days before I get around to the spark gap.

Gary Weaver