Re: [TCML] multiple miniature transformers

This is definitely one I have a little experience with. I started accumulating nst's a while ago, and then began tying them together. At the moment, I'm up to 6, 9kv/30ma. I have them mounted on a 2' x 2' platform with casters. As my daughter's boyfriend and I were lugging it up the basement stairs for halloween, I too wondered why I just didn't get a small pig. However, there's still the issue of current control that I don't have to deal with, as I would with a pig. I would stick to using my variac, rather than switching them on individually, too. I prefer to ramp the power up slowly, just in case. I'm only using a safety gap for them at the moment, but I try to be conservative and not push them beyond 80-85% on the variac.

Neal.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] multiple miniature transformers

Wouldn't 10 neon sign transformers and associated equipment be just about as bad as lugging around a pole pig or maybe even worse?
Paul
Think Positive
----- Original Message ----- From: Chris Rutherford
 Hi All,

 A couple of years back I made a TC powered by 4 parallel NSTs,
 providing 1KVA, which worked reasonably well.  I was thinking about
 extending the idea using 10 larger (identical) NSTs to provide 10KVA.
 I would individually protect each NST using something like a Terry
 filter, and also place a switch on the mains side of each transformer,