From: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Re: Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:40:18 -0800

Hi Steve,

I'd tend to agree that low voltage silicon switched tesla coils tend to
be less efficient than HV spark gap switched systems, for the simple
fact that a low voltage system requires far higher currents and lower
copper losses than a typical HV SGTC design.

Most SS systems I've seen have Zchar values below an ohm, requiring
milliohm-level copper losses to be efficient.  The coppersmithing
required here is usually beyond the home-depot off-the-shelf approach.

Still, with the relatively few coils that I've built, the SS coil
outperforms the SGTC's by far, in terms of spark length/kW.  The SS twin
prototype shown here is operating at ~7kW and easily bridging 16ft:
http://www.lightninglab.org/misc/NLL_Prototype.jpg

The Zchar is only 0.75ohm, yet in can just bridge 18ft at 7kW, or about
2.5ft/kW.  The larger 120L50k SGTC below will bridge about 25ft at 25kW,
yielding ~1ft/kW:
http://www.lightninglab.org/gallery/2008Teslathon/images/120L02.jpg

The SS coil required a significant amount of coppersmithing to get the
efficiency up.  But I think the perfect quenching that a SS coil offers
may the biggest reason it outperforms the SGTC coil.  GL