Re: [TCML] can you help my son and i with this Please

Roger Smith wrote:
I would recommend starting with a small one especially if cost is a
factor. In some ways the small Tesla coils can be more fun than the
big ones. You can get closer to them and see more corona and the
finer sparks and smell more ozone.    Start with one based on a small
neon sign transformer or oil burner transformer and save the 10" pvc
pipe for later.   A piece of 3" pvc won't set you back much.

I would concur with this advice. You could use a capacitor made from clear glass bottles, an oil burner transformer (or a small neon from a sign shop), a couple of brass screws for the gap, and a three to four inch section of PVC (or ABS or cardboard) for the coilform. Copper tubing makes a good primary, but so does some bare copper wire. The magnet wire for the secondary can be purchased from a local motor rewinder for a few bucks if you can talk them into selling you a partial spool, or you can buy a small amount from ebay if the price isn't too much).

If you scrounge well, you can come up with a respectable coil for under $20.

Jon