From: Bill Noble <william_b_noble@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Nov 22, 2009 5:36 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] can you help my son and i with this Please

Eric - most of us start small - you don't' need donations, and you don't need more stuff.

you need wire - $5 or so will get you the wire you need from a surplus place, or unwind a transformer or other coil and get it free.

you need a spark gap - two nails and a piece of wood will work (not as well as fancier stuff, but it will work)

you need a cap - beer bottles (or milk bottles) with brine will work

you need wire for a primary - scrounge some old electrical wire - whatever you can find

for a first toy though, make jacob's ladders - all you need are 2 coat hangers and your neon sign xformer

start with the small stuff, ask questions about that, then consider bigger