[TCML] Properly RF Grounding a Small Tesla Coil

Alright,

The last time I ever ran my coil was when everything was grounded to mains ground (outlet), including the strike rod, secondary, and transformer. Bad idea! The reason it was the last time I ever ran it, was because the high voltage going from the secondary to the strike rod was causing the sprinkler timer in the garage to malfunction and start watering the lawn... Gunna wunna do sumtin bout dat... My question is, how deep do I need to sink a ground rod to get a proper RF ground? Should I even be using a ground rod??

Thanks,
Brandon