Re: [TCML] Need new cap(s) for my coil

Hi Brandon

Capacitors add in parallel and divide in series. To get 0.015uF at 40,000V you
would need 16. Four parallel strings of four in series. At $10 a shot that
would be $160. The problem is these are "METALLIZED POLYESTER" which heats up
at high frequency, and the  metallized film will evaporate around the
connections at high power levels. It is best to stick with capacitors that are
known to work well in Tesla coil service. The famous CD 942C20P15K for example.
A single series string of 10 of these capacitors, though under rated at 20kV,
would last much longer than the caps you were looking at, and could likely be
had for ~$50 including shipping. Two strings of 20 caps each would provide the
same capacitance value in a "bulletproof" 40kV rating for, say, $200
(considering the cost including shipping is around $5/pc, they sometimes show
up on the list for ~$3) , which is a much better value in the long run.

later
deano