Re: [TCML] re: ignition coil pulse generator

Capacitive discharge is a common way to fire an ignition coil.  In this scheme, an audio frequency inverter steps 12vdc up to 400vdc or so and stores it in a capacitor.  This capacitor periodically dumps its charge into the coil primary (usually by a thyristor switch), giving 10's of kv discharge on the secondary.

If simplicity is what you're after, a car ignition coil can be pulsed from a regular 120vac outlet using an electronic lamp dimmer and a series capacitor to limit the current.

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/cararc.htm

A 400-600v motor run cap of 2 to 10uF works well for this duty.  If discharged through a spark gap, this setup gives a continuous flaming arc output, like an NST.  I ran a circuit like this as an electric fence charger 24/7 back when I had a big vegetable garden.  I only saw it tested once, when my poor bulldog sniffed at the live wire.  She never did that again!  Let's just say it made a lasting impression on her.  Oh yeah, it kept the bunnies away from my zucchini, too.

Cheers,

Greg