Re: [TCML] Caps in parallel

Chuck,

The best arrangement is to have your caps in full series strings between the voltage sources. If you have mixed series/parallel groups, then you get into the following problem.

If one of the 5 caps in one column of one of your subassemblies develops a short, the remaining 4 caps in that column will now see the applied voltage of that subassembly, while the other 3 columns will sorta go along for the ride. This will further stress the remaining 4 caps in that column. Further, the charge stored in the other 3 parallel columns of the subassembly will further stress the failed column, hastening its failure. Therefore, though it mechanically would be easier to do series connections of large sets of parallel caps, and electrically, you get the same total capacitance either way, from a fault tolerance standpoint, the best arrangement is a set of series columns of caps spanning the entire input voltage range without any horizontal parallel links, except at the very ends of the columns. You would do best with 4 columns of 15 caps bussed only at their ends, and without any other cross connections.

HTH,

Dave

chuck wrote:
I have mounted several circuit boards with capacitors (WIMA FKP-1s) is
series, 20 to each circuit board. The configuration is four columns of five
caps each. Now I wish to connect the circuit boards such that the caps on
each circuit board will be in parallel. Assume the connection of each group
of caps is at the upper left corner (UL) and upper right corner (UR) of the
circuit board. Now, by connecting each board UL-UL and UR-UR, I know the
caps will be in parallel. What if I connect them UL (board 1) to UR (board
2) and UR (board 1) to UL (board 2)? This configuration is much simpler and
uses less wire. Any hazards I am overlooking?
Your opinions will be, as always, highly valued.
chuck
aka asimov13647