RE: [TCML] 12kv 30+ MA NST

Well, I have a few 12kv NSTs but that is not the point here. You can use a
GFI protected NST IF you are willing to invest a little work. A couple of my
NSTs were GFIs. Some were embedded in tar and a couple were imbedded in that
masking tape-colored plastic crap. If tar, you are lucky. I cook the NST
upside-down overnight in an electric roaster at 350F. OUTSIDE, of course. By
morning the tar will have run out and the core and insulators come out
easily. After cooling, soak in gasoline for a couple of days and gently
scrub clean. GFI-protected NSTs are not failsafe, that is to say, you can
remove the GFI circuitry and the transformer will function just fine. If the
NST is encased in that plastic crap, the plastic will soften up at 350F but
will not run. If you are VERY careful you can pick the plastic off the core
but once the plastic cools again it becomes rock hard. You have between 15
minutes and a half hour before the plastic rocks up on you. The NSTs with
the plastic crap had pieces of marble or a similar material mixed into the
plastic crap as an aggregate. Or perhaps the marble is cheaper than plastic
crap and was used as an expander. The NSTs embedded in plastic crap clean up
nicer than the tar-embedded units but they are a lot more work to liberate
from the plastic crap than their tar-embedded brethren. Of course, if you
are not willing to invest hours of labor and get filthy, it may be easier
just to buy an NST. Which, of course, was the nature of your original
request.

And if you are going to repot a tar-embedded NST, buy a couple of bars of
Lava soap. And wear old clothes. And be prepared to buy your wife a new
roaster.

Has anyone ever tried vapor degreasing NSTs? Seems to me it would be
faster/cheaper/easier than repotting using main strength.

Chuck
Hannawa Falls, NY
Where repotting NSTs beats anything else you can do around here.