RE: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

Thank you for your brilliant insights!  I asked this as an interesting mental excersize (as I did back when asking if a VDG generator could be used to power a TC) and am glad for the responses.

Getting back to one of the reasons why I initially asked (here it is clarified a bit)

> > With no air for a 'core' (between the primary and secondary coils, those being the only parts in the vaccum)

> > would there still be streamers off the toroid, same length and brightness as there would be for the same
> > coil if the primary and secondary were not in a vaccum chamber?

Now, as I have seen on youtube and other websites, some people have called auto ignition transformers (which have iron cores, as I have been led to understand) Tesla coils - but then is it clarified that they are not, because a Tesla coil is 'air cored', and auto ignition transfromers are 'iron cored' as are the NSTs, MOTs and BZTs etc we all know so well - the core being the medium through which the voltage and amperage are electromagnetically transfered.

But if air is not necessary for the coupling to work, if no physical medium is required to transmit the electromagnetic energy - as the absence of air between the coils, from what I gather, would not interfere with the  production of resonant rise, then should we really keep classifying it as an 'air core' transformer then?  Granted, it is very rare that one hears of a tesla coil being built in anything other than 1 atm, but I cant help but think that this  is circumstantial.

I know it may have been called an 'air core resonant transformer' for a very long time, and old habits die hard, but if having air present between the primary and secondary is not a _requirement_ for it to work - then perhaps the 'air core' part of what we call it should be omitted - or otherwise reflect the nature of what is always true about the coupling and transfer of energy from one coil to the other - whether in oil, air, or vaccum, just so long as the fluid between the pri. and sec. it is a non-conductive material?

Brian Hall