Re: [TCML] 60/50Hz Tesla Coil? - Non disruptive

Regarding power distribution frequencies, in addition to 50 and 60 Hz, 400 Hz is used by the military in some shipboard systems and in aircraft. RF power distribution systems in the 20-40 kHz region have also been suggested. I believe that NASA has explored this.

On a related topic, is anyone aware of any statistical studies having been done on the physiological and neurological effects of long-term exposure to the electric and magnetic field energy associated with Tesla coils?.

Also, not all Tesla coils have a primary capacitor and some sort of a switch to discharge it at lengthy intervals relative to the fundamental resonant frequency. Tesla used "another kind of circuit" that was used to produce "perfectly undamped waves."

Tesla

I used the apparatus, yes, in connection with the antenna too, but . . . I used it in every connection. . . . the apparatus was used in all my work, in all my investigations. . . . I had different kinds of apparatus. [In Manhattan] I had a sensibly damped wave because at that time I still was laboring under the same difficulties as some do this day -- I had not learned how to produce a circuit which would give me, with very few fundamental impulses, a perfectly continuous wave. That came with the perfection of the devices. When I came to my experiments in Colorado, I could take my apparatus like that and get a continuous or undamped wave, almost without exception, between individual discharges.

Counsel

Speaking of your not having perfectly undamped waves at that time, you were referring to that character of circuit?

Tesla

    Yes, but with another kind of circuit I could, of course.

The advantage of this apparatus was the delivering of energy at short intervals whereby one could increase activity, and with this scheme I was able to perform all of those wonderful experiments which have been reprinted from time to time in the technical papers. I would take energy out of a circuit at rates of hundreds or thousands of horsepower. In Colorado, I reached 18 million horsepower activities, but that was always by this device: Energy stored in the condenser and discharged in an inconceivably small interval of time. You could not produce that activity with an undamped wave.

The damped wave is of advantage because it gives you, with a generator of 1 kilowatt, an activity of 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, or 5,000 kilowatts; whereas, if you have a continuous or undamped wave, 1 kilowatt gives you only wave energy at the rate of 1 kilowatt and nothing more. That is the reason why the system with a quenched gap has become popular.

I have refined this so that I have been able to take energy out of engines by drawing on their momentum. For instance, if the engine is of 200 horsepower, I take the energy out for a minute interval of time, at a rate of 5,000 or 6,000 horsepower, then I store [it] in a condenser and discharge the same at the rate of several millions of horsepower. That is how these wonderful effects are produced. The condenser is the most wonderful instrument, as I have stated in my writings, because it enables us to attain greater activities than are practical with explosives. There is no limit to the energy which you can develop with a condenser. There is a limit to the energy which you can develop with an explosive.

From: "Paul Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] 60/50Hz Tesla Coil? - Non disruptive

I think you missed Steve's point. You were the one who made the statement that it wouldn't matter what the mains frequency was. You said, and I quote, "basically IT WOULDN'T MATTER WHAT FREQUENCY THE MAINS WAS -we would>>> NEVER PLUG A TESLA COIL DIRECTLY INTO THE MAINS" You can't just change the rules in your reply and suddenly say that BUT the mains frequency is NOT 10's of KHerts, after you said one would NEVER plug directly into the mains.

Steve outlined the case where you WOULD plug directly into the mains and his response was perfectly valid for what you had written.
Paul
Think Positive