From: Christopher Karr [mailto:chriskarr4@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:01 PM
To: Tesla Pupman List
Subject: [TCML] Home-made modulation transformer/guitar-driver (VTTC)

Hello 'Everyone,'

In a MOT-powered VTTC, would it suffice to make a modulation transformer
out of, essentially, another MOT (driven by a 100W guitar amplifier)? If
so, would using the original secondary winding and a new primary winding
- with fewer turns - be the preferred method? This would, of course, be
placed with the bias of the guitar amplifier opposing the flow of
anode-current.

Assuming this might work, in the first place, how might one 'force' the
VTTC to respond only to their amplifier, in order to prevent the 'hiss'
of CW 'sparks?' A biasing DC supply saturating the core on the primary
side? Or would this even be necessary, since the high-voltage DC energy
from the primary circuit of the VTTC would saturate the core? Perhaps
the varying current-draw would act to cause flux-collapsion?

Or, perhaps using an IGBT rated at 600V on the grid-circuit is the only
reasonable option?
Perhaps a pair of IGBTs (rated at 1200V each) with their collectors and
emitters in series and gates in parallel is a possibility for post-tube
(high-side?) modulation..

Input and knowledge is very much appreciated, everyone!

Thanks,

 - Christopher Karr