RE: [TCML] Why copper tubing for primary?

I'm not sure where you've been pricing copper tubing at, but it is FAR cheaper than solid copper. The solid copper is also much more difficult to bend. It will work harden and bending a 1/4" or 3/8" diameter copper rod is not easy. Stranded copper is likewise difficult to bend. The high frequency means that most of the current is distributed on the skin of the conductor so you don't gain anything by going to solid copper.

Look at Home Depot or Lowes for copper tubing. You should be able to get 25' of 1/4" tubing for about 30 bucks, IIRC.
________________________________

From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Ray Whiteside
Sent: Fri 8/13/2010 2:14 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Why copper tubing for primary?

Obviously wherever I look people are using copper tubing for their primary
coil, but I can't figure out for the life of me why people use copper tubing
over fairly large gauge copper. It seems copper wire would be much cheaper
and easier to work with. Is it merely a difference in the inductance values?

Thanks,
-Ray

--
Raymond Whiteside