Re: [TCML] Grounding Coil to Water Pipe

Brandon Hendershot wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I got DirecTV the other day and notice that the installer grounded
the satellite dish to the protruding water pipe leading up to my
garden hose. I'd never thought to ground there before!

And your installer may not have made a legal ground, in any case. Cable TV and Satellite installers are *notorious* for bad grounds, both electrically and code compliance wise.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that grounding the dish to a water pipe coming up from the ground, if there's no other bonding wires, is NOT code compliant. (call your satellite company and/or your city code enforcement folks...)

 But I've got a
few things I'd like to run by you all before I try it there;

1. The running water shouldn't be affected by the coil due to the
'skin effect' factor. It should limit the current only to the surface
of the pipe, right?

Wrong. You cannot depend on skin effect. What if there is a partially insulating gap in the pipe (pipe tape/pipe dope)? What if there is a 60 Hz short (e.g. arc to the primary)..

 2. The satellite ground should be disconnected
before powering on the coil, right? Seems like a bad idea to pump
thousands of volts into a satellite dish

It's probably ok. even with the non-code ground.

;P 3. The pipe should
provide sufficient RF ground, yeah?

No.

I've searched the list, but I didn't see anything particularly
definitive on the subject...

P.S: The ground wire is actually leading up to the coaxial splitter
looking thing.

Actually, if they're doing it normally, there's a grounding block that the coax connects to that bonds the coax shield to the grounding system. The ground wire itself has to be solid copper, aluminum, or copper clad steel of a particular gauge.

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/lowvoltage/pdf/LowVoltBook.pdf is based on the 1999 code, but has all the data you need.

The thing that'll take the satellite output and split
it up to the different recievers throughout the house. I dont know if
it's a necessary part of the system or not, but if anybody knows
anything about this, I'd sure like to know what you do.