RE: [TCML] sealing coils/Dolph's AC-43

I, too, have used Envirotex epoxy from Tap Plastic (by recommendation of
Pupman members) on all my coils; more than 24 different solenoid and flat
spiral secondaries.  I have coils still in use that are eight years old with
no separation or other epoxy failures.

However, this does not mean a coil can be improperly tuned.  Even with thick
coats I have shorted windings by over-powering the wire gauge and
mis-tuning.

One of the neat effects of using heavy coats is that the epoxy becomes a
powerful dielectric, which holds a strong electrostatic charge for hours
(and sometimes days).

If you really want a strong electrophorus, place the fully cured and sealed
coil inside a PVC jacket and fill it with transformer oil.  If you run such
a coil in a faraday caged room, it will produce an exceptionally strong
electric field that will make the hairs stand on your skin half way across
the room. But be careful, if you try to touch the secondary even hours after
it last ran you can get a very nasty four inch streamer to your finger.

If you are into wireless power transmission, ala Marin Soljacic, coated
secondaries and toploads are the way to go.

The Envirotec is also excellent for making MMCs.  I solder the capacitors
according to the voltage rating and capacitance I want, place it in a PVC
pipe, cap one end, then pour the epoxy in.  I place the other cap on and let
it set.  A couple of brass bolts sticking out each end makes for a nice
looking TC capacitor.  Again, I thank Pupman members for the ideas.

I buy my Envirotec by the gallon and always find a good use for it.

Dave