Re: [TCML] 400 hz variacs

Yes, they can be used as variacs if you reduce the voltage by a factor of 60/400. A 120V 60 Hz variac would thus becone ab 18V, 400 Hz variac. I've done that with far bigger ones to control the output of a filament transformer. I doubt that they'd be useful as ballasts because the cores would probably saturate under any useful operating conditions.

Ed

HomerLea@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have a bunch of 208v 1.3 amp and some larger variacs, all 400 hz. Can these be used as variacs at derated in voltage on 60 hz or are they just good for ballast?
Jim Heagy

homerlea@xxxxxxx