Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

>From the videos, it appeared that the phase varied directly with the >applied
voltage from the Variac, so any additional Variac for controlling phase
might be redundant.  It's not clear just what the acceptable range of
applied voltage is?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Futuret <futuret@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Excellent work, and a fun project !  The start-up sounds really cool !
Now I'm curious if this type of sync motor will work with my phase
controller circuit.  I agree with Clive that it will probably work.

It would still be interesting to see what happens if the opposing 180
degree
segments are merely shorted (no diode).  Maybe Clive tried that
and it didn't work??  It will also be interesting too see how Clive's
and the other fellow's idea of diode-ing across less than 180
degrees works out.

Are you still going to try adding some resistors Stefan just to
see what effect it has?

Cheers,
John