Re: RE: [TCML] Secondary Coil Capacitating

On 16:59, Brian wrote:
The coil carries a capacitance, that capacitance can store a charge even
after the coil is shut down it can actually develop a charge when not
connected to anything. I have had it happen several times, what I did to
correct it, was short the coil out after use. I have had them develop a
charge just by moving them around. At first it's not a big deal but after a
few times it begins to hurt a little...Hahaha so I short them out now before
I move them around, you can put a couple of alligator clips on some lead
wire and just keep the coil shorted when not in use and that will also take
care of it.

A coil will never store a charge that can be removed by shorting the coil. It is already shorted by the wire. The charge is in the capacitance formed by the windings and the insulated surface of the coil. If you touch the surface and the winding, the discharge gives a significant shock.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz