To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 9:10 PM
Subject: [TCML] coupling coefficient

Something that puzzled me about my coil was how high I had my primary coil wrt the bottom of the secondary, I had it about 2 inches above the bottom of the secondary to make the coil perform well. But I've read on the list other people having them about level and that that was optimum. I'm checking my coil with Tilbury's spreadsheets and at level his excel spreadsheet says that k=-0.022 on my coil.

My specs are:

secondary is 4.25 inch dia
wound with 26 gauge magnet wire

Primary ID is 6.8 inches
wound with 3/16 inch copper tubing in a flat pancake spiral, spacing is .3125 inches. (0.5 inches center to center of tubing)
total of 12 turns

can anyone shed some light on coupling.

thanks,

Shaun Epp